In Shimla mosque dispute, Himachal Muslim society maps new legal strategy to save shrine from full demolition

In Shimla mosque dispute, Himachal Muslim society maps new legal strategy to save shrine from full demolition

Revenue records cited to claim legitimacy

TNR News Network
Shimla:
The decades-old dispute over the Sanjauli mosque in the Himachal Pradesh capital has once again escalated, with the All Himachal Muslim Welfare Society announcing a renewed attempt to secure official approval for the existing structure. The society said it would initiate fresh proceedings before the Municipal Corporation (MC) to regularise the mosque plan, in an effort to prevent the remaining floors from being pulled down.


Addressing the media in Shimla, society president Najakat Ali Hashmi argued that revenue records dating back to 1915 show a mosque standing on Khasra number 107. “Even in the 1997-98 documents, the Sanjauli mosque is recorded. The structure is not illegal,” he said, adding that the entry clearly mentions gair mumkin masjid on government books.


Hashmi also pointed out that a building plan was submitted to the MC in 2013. “As per the MC Act, if objections are not filed within 90 days, the plan is deemed approved. The civic body never objected then,” he claimed.


He acknowledged, however, that a five-storey structure was raised without formal sanction, but said the top two floors have already been removed. “We are ready to modify the mosque within rules. No part of the remaining structure is illegal,” he asserted.

Earlier rulings went against mosque panel

The ownership claim by the Muslim Welfare Society has not been upheld so far in the MC Commissioner’s court or the district court. Both forums earlier validated demolition directives issued by the civic body, calling the entire structure unauthorised.


After the district court dismissed the challenge and ordered complete removal of the mosque by December 30, the matter was taken to the Himachal Pradesh High Court. The court has directed demolition of the upper three floors but maintained status quo on the lower two levels for now.

Flashpoint after clashes in 2024

The Sanjauli mosque became the centre of controversy last year after a clash between two groups in the Mehli area on August 31, 2024. Some accused persons reportedly took shelter inside the mosque, triggering protests outside the premises the next day.


Tensions escalated in September as Hindu organisations intensified demonstrations, demanding demolition of the structure. Following negotiations, the mosque committee itself offered to remove the unauthorised portion, and partial demolition began after MC orders issued on October 5, 2024.


The dispute has since moved through multiple legal stages — with fresh hearings now expected as the Muslim group pushes for approval of a revised building plan.

TNR News Network

TNR News Network

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *