Himachal BJP MLA Hans Raj granted bail in POCSO case; accuser had earlier backtracked on charges

Himachal BJP MLA Hans Raj granted bail in POCSO case; accuser had earlier backtracked on charges

TNR News Network
Chamba

BJP MLA from Churah in Chamba district of Himachal Pradesh, Hans Raj, was granted bail on Thursday (November 27, 2025) by a special POCSO court, marking a crucial development in a case that has drawn sharp political and legal attention in Himachal Pradesh.


The MLA, who appeared visibly emotional, walked out of the court complex after the order was pronounced.


Hans Raj had appeared before the special judge as his interim bail, granted earlier to prevent arrest, expired on Thursday. The court had reserved its order on November 22 after hearing arguments from both sides and scheduled the verdict for November 27.

Court grants regular bail after extended hearings

The MLA had sought regular bail after securing anticipatory relief earlier. The court’s decision is seen as significant for the future course of both the investigation and Hans Raj’s political standing.


A day before the verdict, the police had interrogated Hans Raj again in the POCSO Act case. He was questioned for nearly two-and-a-half hours at the Women Police Station in Chamba. According to police officials, the questioning aimed to verify evidence and testimonies collected so far.

Police continue probe; MLA questioned multiple times

The police have questioned the MLA several times on November 13, 15 and again on November 19 after an FIR was registered against him under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act following court directions.


Chamba ASP Hitesh Lakhanpal said the police were examining all available evidence and questioning the MLA accordingly. “Whatever evidence is coming to light is being scrutinised, and questioning is being done based on that,” he said.


The case surfaced after a young woman from Chamba district went live on social media recently, making serious allegations of rape against the MLA. This prompted the court to order registration of a POCSO case.


Interestingly, the same woman had accused Hans Raj a year back of sending obscene messages and threatening her family, but later retracted her statement in court, leading to closure of that matter at the time.


The latest allegations, however, have triggered a fresh and more serious investigation. With bail now granted, the MLA is expected to attend the winter session of the Vidhan Sabha in Dharamshala.

TNR News Network

TNR News Network

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *